Newport Match Report

On a great afternoon for rugby both teams produced a show that kept the big crowd on the edge of the seats until the final play. Unfortunately for Broadstreet it ended in a narrow defeat.

The Street started the game in lively fashion, keeping the ball in the opposition half. On the hosts first throw in, the Street further showed their intention with Tony Worthington pinching the ball and although this came to nothing on the next play they opened their account. With Newport trying to play their way out of their own half superb line speed from Brett Daynes saw him pinch the ball and then sprint home from 50M out. The extras were added by Ben Palmer (0-7). Newport finally kicked into gear and 5 mins later on 9 mins made the most of a missed Broadstreet tackle in the middle of the park to break and score under the posts. (7-7). The game was now being played in the visiting 22m and on 11 mins 3 penalties on the bounce led to Cliffie Hodgson taking a team yellow and an easy 3 points for the hosts (10-7)

Being down to 14 mean seem to galvanise the Street and they charged back at Newport. On 19 mins this domination resulted in points when a driving maul from the lineout led to George Walsh crashing over the whitewash and the extra points duly added. (10-14). Now back to 15 the Street kept coming in a game they had started to dominate. On 29 mins they got their reward when Brett Daynes came up with the ball after a drive had charged over the try line. This time the conversion was missed but the Street went in at HT on top. HT 10-19

As expected Newport came out after halftime charged up and in the following 10 mins the whole momentum of the game changed. A smart move from Newport was only foiled when they knocked on inside the visiting 5m. Unfortunately Street fumbled the ball at the base of the scrum and then a home scrum was awarded from which they worked the ball wide for the winger to go over. The kick from the touchline was executed superbly (17-19). With the momentum now with the hosts they broke again on 49 mins from the middle of the park to score and give an easy conversion attempt to take the lead (24-19). The hosts were now well on top and it took an excellent goal line tackle form a brave Lewis Dodds to stop them increasing their lead even further.

Gradually the Street started to work their way back into the game and after a period of pressure drew level at the 62nd min mark. After winning a penalty and kicking to the corner, they executed a good lineout and driving maul before the two replacements Sam Harcourt and Mike Ryan peeled off for Sam to smash over the line. The conversion was missed (24-24). Street were started to get more of the game now but then a break from Newport and a high tackle from the scrambled defence gave them an easy chance in front of the posts (27-24)

The game ended with the Street encamped in the hosts 22. With time up they won a penalty in front of the posts but with a draw no good for us the easy kick was turned down but surprisingly so was the scrum after the boys had dominated this set piece all day. The boys decided to run and were held up when over the line with the Ref blowing the final whistle. FT 27-24.  

On a sad note the game also saw nasty injuries for two players. Nick Rhodes (shoulder) has been superb for us all season and Mike Ryan (knee) has been working hard and has deserved his chance in recent weeks in a very competitive back row.  We wish both boys well in their recovery.

Well this, and Saturday’s other results, all but puts a lid on any faint chances the Street still had of promotion. The boys were disappointed but with three games to go they can still hold the top three in the league to account and there is no bigger game for them to get that winning feeling again than against our local rivals, Nuneaton. The boys play Nuns, away at 3pm next week. Lets all get behind them.

Leave a Comment